a protester wounded by a shot at real police bullet

This is the third time since the beginning of the mobilization that a protester has been injured. The two previous victims survived.

A Hong Kong policeman fired on a masked protester on Monday, November 11, wounding his torso, while the megacity was paralyzed by blocking operations of great magnitude led by the pro-democracy movement. This shot, filmed and broadcast live on Facebook, illustrates once again the deterioration of the situation in the former British colony, which has been experiencing its worst political crisis for five months since its return to China in 1997.

On the images, we see a policeman in a yellow shirt and waistcoat trying to control a white-jacketed person at a junction blocked by protesters. Another masked man, dressed in black, approaches and the policeman pulls him visibly on the chest. The man falls to the ground and sits while holding the abdomen, tries to get up before being controlled on the ground by the policeman.

(Warning, these images may offend the sensitivity of some people.)

A police source confirmed, on condition of anonymity, that three live ammunition had been fired and that one person had been hit at Sai Wan Ho. A photo of the Cupid News media shows two demonstrators on the ground, one of whom was near a trail of blood. Hospital sources said three people were hospitalized, including one for a gunshot wound.

This is the third time since the beginning of the mobilization that a protester has been wounded by a live shot. The first two victims, affected in October, survived.

A call for a general strike had been launched for Monday. Very early, at rush hour, several neighborhoods were the scene of blocking actions of all kinds. Protesters have targeted Hong Kong subway stations or erected barricades at some crossroads.

These spontaneous demonstrations gave rise to numerous clashes with the police, who sometimes used tear gas. A video put online by demonstrators showed a police officer trying to rush his motorcycle several times against protesters blocking a street.

The head of the executive, Carrie Lam, refused to allow an independent investigation into police behavior, which is a key demand from the protesters. She asserts that the police had a supervisory body, the IPCC, to investigate complaints.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button