Tom Hanks is the first Hollywood star to announce that he has contracted the new coronavirus
Actor Tom Hanks and his wife have been placed in solitary confinement in an Australian hospital after being tested positive for the new coronavirus while the American star was preparing to shoot in Australia, Queensland state authorities said on Thursday.
The multi-Oscar winning artist had previously revealed on social networks that he had the disease, like his wife Rita Wilson, aged like him 63 years old.
Tom Hanks is the first Hollywood star to announce that he has contracted the new coronavirus, which has infected more than 125,000 people worldwide and killed more than 4,600 people.
“We felt a little tired, as if we had a cold and aches (…) To be clear, as it is currently recommended, we tested for the coronavirus and it turned out to be positive “Tom Hanks wrote on Instagram.
See this post on Instagram
Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive. Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks ’will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no? We’ll keep the world posted and updated. Take care of yourselves! Hanx!
“What to do now? The medical authorities have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks will be tested, examined and isolated as long as necessary for public health”.
“There is not much you can do other than see from day to day, right?”, he concluded in his message, accompanied by the photo of a hospital trash can with a disposable glove.
The couple are in solitary confinement in the Gold Coast University Hospital, according to authorities in northeast Queensland. One of the couple's two sons, Chet, also gave news of his parents in a video message.
“I just hung up the phone. They're fine. They're not even that sick,” he said. “They are not worried (…) they will of course take the necessary health precautions.”
“I don't think there is much to worry about, but I appreciate everyone's sympathy and encouragement. I think everything will be fine.”
Tom Hanks was with his wife in Australia for the preparations for the filming of an Australian film Baz Luhrmann devoted to Elvis Presley, and in which the actor with two Oscar must play the impresario of “King”, the famous “Colonel” Tom Parker.
“We learned that a member participating in our film on Elvis, currently in pre-production on the Gold Coast, in Australia, has tested positive for Covid-19”, Warner Bros. studios said in a statement sent to AFP, without naming Tom Hanks, however.
“We are working with the relevant Australian health agencies to identify and contact anyone who may have come into direct contact with this person”, continues the press release. Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate said diagnosis fell on Thursday “early, very early.” “The news was announced by Baz when everyone was there and everyone went home”, he said.
“All the people who were on the set went home to observe for themselves about forty”, he continued, adding that his own daughter was among those concerned. “The policy is that people who test negative will go back to work.”
It is unknown where Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson contracted the disease, which has infected more than 140 people in Australia, three of whom died. Rita Wilson, who is an actress and singer, had given a concert in a hotel in Brisbane on March 5, and at the Sydney Opera House on 7. During their stay in Sydney, the couple also went to the neighborhood of Bondi, famous for its beach which attracts tourists from all over the world.